Frequently asked questions
1. What kinds of service do you provide?
- Stabilizing residential and commercial foundation by sinking piles using hydraulic equipment
- Installation of driven, screwed and bored piles for new constructions or for equipment in factories with restricted access.
- Underpinning work (such a support for decontamination efforts)
- Raising of floors, foundations, roofs and structures
- Structural reinforcement
- Foundation replacement and repair
- Eliminating pyrite-contaminated fill
2. Do you provide free estimates?
We will be delighted to provide a free estimate for foundation repairs. Just give us a call.
3. Do you have an engineering department?
We have a team consisting of experienced engineers and technicians who are at your service. They make sure the best solution is applied to your particular situation. They also take charge of grant applications and produce the reports and plans required for various programs. Last but not least, these team members oversee the quality of your work.
4. Bisson Expert or Roger Bisson inc.? Why are there two Company names?
The real name of the Company remains Roger Bisson inc., a Company founded in Québec in 1960. In 1963, the Company added an other trade name under the Corporate designation of Bisson Expert; however, both names are for the exact same Company. The change of trade name from Roger Bisson inc. to Bisson Expert is in accordance with the dynamic vision of the Company working in the field of foundation repair and adapting itself to the changing requirements of our clients. The Corporate philosophy has not changed: we are always concerned with the quality of work and client satisfaction. Since 1960, our relationship with our clients continues to be based on trust and our efforts are constantly driven in that direction.
5. What warranties apply?
A warranty of 15 years applies to pile stabilization projects, while pyrite elimination work is covered for 20 years. All of our warranties are transferable to new homeowners.
6. What are your certifications and accreditations?
- The Régie du Bâtiment du Québec
- The Association des consommateurs pour la qualité dans la construction (ACQC)
- APCHQ 's Garantie rénovation and Garantie Réno-pyrite.
- The Société d'habitation du Québec and municipal housing agencies
7. Can you give us some references?
We are delighted to provide references on request.
8. When I call Donat Laplante inc., Bisson Expert answers, why?
We are very pleased to inform you of the arrival of Donat Laplante Enterprises in the large family of Bisson Expert! Indeed, two Quebecer leaders in foundation repair and house lifting have come together to offer you the most reliable expertise available. In a perspective of complementary services and corporate cultures, Donat Laplante Enterprises will now be known as Bisson Expert. Always being concerned to give you the best service, we will so optimize our human, material and technology resources.Upon your request for Donat Laplante Enterprises' services in the future, Bisson Expert will be pleased to help you. Gathered in the same family, Donat Laplante Enterprises and Bisson Expert are now offering you a high added-value expertise.
9.Is Bisson-Pretech an other Company?
This is a distinct Company; a consortium founded in 2009, the union of two companies which are complementary in their expertise: Bisson Expert and Pretech.
The Company Consortium Bisson-Pretech now offers its clientele the greatest expertise in piling and consolidation of foundations in North America.
10. In stabilizing slab foundation why do you use different types of piles?
Certain types of piles are best used in situations of limited or restricted access to avoid much higher costs.
8. What causes settling?
Buildings may settle for a number of reasons including urbanization, clay-based soils, proximity of large trees, drought. Sometimes more than one factor may apply.
11. Are new houses subject to settling?
Unfortunately, the soil may shift and settling may result under some new houses, due to drought.
12. How do you repair foundations?
Depending on the surrounding area, the type of foundation in question, the type of problem involved, a variety of options are available, including stabilizing the structure, replacing the foundation and repair work.
13. Do you test for pyrite?
“I notice few small cracks in my concrete slab but there’s no white powder around. Do you do pyrite test?”
We do not provide test. We are specialized in pyrite removal and leave the care to accredited laboratories to sample, analyze backfills and provide a report afterward.
14. My neighbour has a pyrite problem. Does that mean I do too?
There is a chance you do, but this can all be confirmed by testing.
15. What are the most common symptoms of pyrite problems?
Swelling of the concrete floor accompanied by cracking and whitish deposits is the most common symptoms. Other cracks may also appear along the walls, foundations etc.
16. If I see cracks in the basement floor, does that mean I have a pyrite problem?
Not necessarily. Other issues could be involved. Only an on-site inspection can resolve the matter.